Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Flow of the Game

To protect the identity of my fellow role-players I will only use the names of characters and not the actual names of the role-players themselves.

     The Harry Potter role-play started about two weeks before I joined. So, by the time I joined, the players had already established in-game friendships with each other and I was the odd one out. Yet, I did not join with a defeatist attitude. On the contrary, in my first scene I bullied Ruth and was cursed by Daniel. This brings me to my first point: when joining a windows driven campaign, you have to come with ideas. Yes, there is a Games Master, but the game will not be as fun as it can be if you do not bring ideas of your own.                                      
     
Harry Potter Examples:

*Prince was a character who had a harsh home life. His father was introduced in a short scene created by a player, and he was loved. So much so that he became more of an important character and eventually became a major villain for the rest of the players.

*Daniel was a character who was a bit strange. Thus, the players focused on him and to spite the fact he was suppose to be a minor character, he became one of the main cast.

*Chris, played by someone who did not want the character to be the lead character, ended up being the lead character simply through the situations that other characters put him into.

These decisions where driven solely by character interaction and scenes made up by the players themselves. Now, not all of the decisions and changes that happened were good, but none of us can say we haven't had fun getting to where we are in the role-play. (year six and close to an end).



     

No comments:

Post a Comment